Saturday, August 30, 2014

Reaching for the Invisible God


Psalm 13

 

 
For over 30 years I loved watching Robin Williams. I loved him in “Mork and Mindy”, “Good Morning Viet Nam”, “Mrs. Doubtfire”, “Good Will Hunting”, “Awakening”… I could go on.

 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okkhgZim5Ig

When news of his death was announced, tears came to my eyes. He was a year younger than me. He had it all - success, fame, fortune - everything that the world has to offer. But it wasn’t enough, so he committed suicide.

 

How much longer will you forget me, Lord? Forever?
    How much longer will you hide yourself from me?
How long must I endure trouble?
    How long will sorrow fill my heart day and night?
    How long will my enemies triumph over me?           Psalm 13:1-2 GN
T

 

Robin no doubt felt much like David did. You may have felt this way yourself. Was it because of a broken relationship? A lost job? The unexpected death of a loved one? Health problems? Depression? Struggling with an addiction? Sometimes, even when everything is going right, God just feels far away. Where is he?

 

Phillip Yancey wrote in Reaching for the Invisible God, “Doubt always coexists with faith, for in the presence of certainty who would need faith at all”. Who indeed? In one way or another, we are all reaching for the invisible God. Robin Williams was. David did. You and I are. But will we find Him?

 

Life happens, and when it does we need to keep moving forward towards God even when we feel like He is not there; even when we feel completely alone. And if we do, then we can pray like David did:

 

I rely on your constant love;
    I will be glad, because you will rescue me.
I will sing to you, O Lord,
    because you have been good to me.     Psalm 13:5-6 GNT

 

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment