Sunday, June 7, 2015

Let’s See, Where Was I?


Colossians 2:6-15

 

 
Have you ever started to do something; been distracted by something else; and then forgot what it was that you started to do in the first place? They say that women can multi-task better than men. “They” being women. Personally, I don’t know if this issue is a gender thing, an age thing or just a thing; but it happens to all of us.

 

Paul was concerned for the Colossian believers that they might get distracted. He warned them to, “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.”

 

He also reminded the Colossians about what it was like before the circumcision of their hearts. That is, about their evil desires and being dead in their sins; but also how Christ had changed them.

 

"When you came to Christ, he set you free from your evil desires, not by a bodily operation of circumcision but by a spiritual operation, the baptism of your souls.”

 

Just like with the Colossians, there are many distractions that tempt us to lose our focus; forget what it was that we were doing. We get caught up in the details of living; the struggles, the pain, the temptations; and we forget.

 

So how do we get back on track; regain our focus; remember what it was that we were doing in the first place? Paul had this to say:

 

“And now just as you trusted Christ to save you, trust him, too, for each day’s problems; live in vital union with him. Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him. See that you go on growing in the Lord, and become strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught.”

 

“For in Christ there is all of God in a human body; so you have everything when you have Christ, and you are filled with God through your union with Christ.” Let me repeat that. You have everything when you have Christ and you are filled with God through your union with Christ.

 

Therefore, how do we get back on track? We need reminders. We need accountability. We need to grow in Christ. We need to refocus.

 

Let’s see, where was I? What was I doing? Oh yeah, I was following Christ when I got distracted; when I started looking elsewhere to find purpose and answers; when life knocked me down and I turned to my old ways to deal with it.


But now I remember: I have everything when I have Christ, and I am filled with God through my union with Christ”. I think I’m good to go now.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment