Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Face of God


Revelation 21:22-22:7, 20-21

 
 
In 1991, I met Greg Lashutka when he was running for mayor of Columbus for the first time. We were passing each other in a church hallway. Being a good politician, he stuck his hand out to shake. Afterwards, I was so nervous that I couldn’t think of anything else to say other than, “Boy you’ve got big hands”.

 

Being in the presence of someone who is famous, successful and powerful can sometimes be intimidating. And in Lashutka’s case, he had something else going for him. He played tight end for Woody Hayes at Ohio State, and later in the NFL. Needless to say, he was a big man… with big hands!

 

In Exodus 33:20 God spoke to Moses saying, "You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." After being in God’s presence Isaiah wrote, "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty." When Simon Peter fell at Jesus’ feet, Luke wrote, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!”

 

What is it about the face and presence of God that is so difficult, if not impossible, for us as humans to encounter?

 

In today’s passage John is describing Heaven. In it, he makes this amazing statement: “They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads”. Despite how people have always reacted in the presence of God, in Heaven we will see His face. We will be in His very presence.

 

I am reminded of the song “I can Only Imagine” by Mercy Me.

I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When your face is before me

Surrounded by your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you Jesus,
Or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence,
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing Halelluja,
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine.

 

In Heaven we will see the face of God and rejoice; not hide in shame. In Heaven we will
be in His presence; not in a temple. In Heaven, the River of Life will wash over us; not sin and guilt. In Heaven, no longer will there be a curse; but only joy in the presence of God.

 

John wrote these words in Revelation 21:  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people,
and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

 

Thanks be to God! Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment