Saturday, March 5, 2016

It’s a Home Going, not a Funeral


Revelation 21:1-8

 

While teaching in the Columbus City Schools, my wife was invited to attend a funeral service by one of her students. Only when my wife referred to it as a funeral she was corrected by her student. “It’s a home going, not a funeral”.

 

According to Wikipedia, “the history of the home going service can be traced back to the arrival of African slaves in America. Early during the slave trade, slaves believed death meant their soul would return home to their native Africa.”

 

“When slaves were introduced to Christianity, the Old Testament stories of God and Moses freeing a captive and enslaved race resonated with them. The New Testament stories of Jesus and promises of glory in heaven and a far better after-life allowed slaves to forge through the turmoil of mortal life and look forward to the day when they would return home to the Lord.”

 

2 “And I, John, saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven. It was a glorious sight, beautiful as a bride at her wedding. I heard a loud shout from the throne saying, “Look, the home of God is now among men, and he will live with them and they will be his people; yes, God himself will be among them. He
will wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor pain. All of that has gone forever.”            TLB

 

This is a beautiful picture of our final home going. John’s words are a message of hope for all of us. The group MercyMe has a song that articulates that hope and how we might feel on that day when we are in the New Jerusalem in the presence of our Lord and Savior Jesus.

 

I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by your side

Will I dance for you Jesus
Or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah
Will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

 

What could be any better than to be in the presence of the One who created us and faithfully loves us?
 
 
 
That will truly be a home going.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment