Saturday, April 15, 2017

With Him I am Well Pleased

(7th in a series on Lent)
Mark 15:33-41 & Hebrews 12:1-3
(Use the link below to read the verses.)
  


When I was a little boy, there was nobody more important to me than my Dad. Above everybody else, I needed his love and affirmation.
 
 
 
If I felt his rejection, I could easily be moved to tears. All he had to do was raise his voice and I would be hurt. If he spanked me I would cry, not because of the physical pain, but because I felt unloved.

 

33 At noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. 34 And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)… 37 With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.      NIV

 

Jesus suffered unimaginable torture and pain before he even got to the cross. Crucifying someone was not only a shameful death, but it was an excruciatingly painful death. He had hung on the cross for three hours before he spoke these words. Was he referring to his physical pain? I don’t think so.

 

I believe at the moment Jesus spoke these words, he was experiencing the total rejection of, and separation from his Heavenly Father; the same one whom he had been completely obedient to despite being fully human; the same one who Jesus spoke of as “if you have seen me, you have seen the Father”.

 

Complete and total rejection from the one who he desired to please the most. His Father turned his back on him at the time that He was needed the most. Jesus suffered, with his eyes focused on the other side of his crucifixion when he would once again experience the love and union with the One who he loved the most.

 

Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end. He did not give up because of the cross! On the contrary, because of the joy that was waiting for him, he thought nothing of the disgrace of dying on the cross, and he is now seated at the right side of God's throne. GNT

 


Jesus smiles now because he hears these words: “This is my son whom I love. With him I am well pleased.” Nothing can be sweeter than to hear our Heavenly Father speak these same words to us.

 

  

 
 
 
 
(If God has spoken to you through this blog, please feel free to share it with others.)


 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment