Saturday, September 23, 2017

Coaches! Who needs ‘em!

2 Timothy 3:1-2, 10-17
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

 

My experience with high school coaches was not very positive. First off, they always called you by your last name. They couldn’t say Joe; it had to be “Hey Williams”. It wasn’t very friendly. Secondly, they always yelled at you like you had committed the worst unpardonable sin; as if there was something wrong with you personally.

 

I remember one football practice when I was blocking a defender and the running back ran into me. The coach yelled, “WILLIAMS! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU!!!” My thought was, “What about the running back. Couldn’t he have run around me instead of into me? Why don’t you yell at him”?  But, like I said, it was a “thought”.

 

My coaches were never encouraging. Their instructions were always negative; putting you down; saying what was wrong with you. To make things worse, they did this not just to you privately, but in front of the whole team; all of my peers that I wanted to impress... Coaches! Who needs ‘em!

 

However, Paul was Timothy’s coach. He wrote 2 Timothy while in prison, knowing that his time on earth was short. He wanted to instruct and encourage Timothy in his faith. Here’s what he wrote to his “dear son” in the faith.

 

10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet
the Lord rescued me from all of them.

 

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.     NIV

 

Paul was preparing Timothy for ministry by instructing him, in the context of their relationship, while living out his life before him. Granted, scripture is to be used, not just for teaching and encouragement, but also “rebuking and correcting”. But Paul makes the point that this is done in the context of a loving, patient relationship with an eye towards the Lord.

 

Coaches! Who needs ‘em! We do! Life is full of pit falls, hardships and struggles. You can’t avoid them. How you handle your struggles is what makes the difference. How do you learn from those problems? How do you grow? Who helps you?

 

Scripture tells us that God disciplines those He loves. He does this through, scripture, relationships and life experiences… even coaches. The struggles of life often provide the greatest opportunity for us to strengthen our faith and grow in our relationship with Jesus Christ.

 

Hopefully, each one of us will be able to give everything that we have; leave it all out on the field of life; give 110%; and to be able to say with Paul:

 

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.    2 Timothy 4:7-8 NIV

 

 

(If God has spoken to you through this blog, please feel free to share the link with others.)


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment