Saturday, October 13, 2018

Father Knows Best

Colossians1:15-23
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

 
In the 50’s there was a popular TV series called, “Father Knows Best”. It was about an idealized family where the Father, as the title indicates, would always have good advice for his three children. In fact, he was the one that the family would look to for leadership, stability and wisdom.

 

That was how I looked at my own Father. I put him on a pedestal as if he were perfect. In fact, in my eyes, he could do no wrong. When he spoke, I listened. It doesn’t mean I always obeyed, but I certainly considered his word the truth.

 

The Colossian believers were struggling with who Jesus was. False teachers were leading them astray. They were making Jesus into something less than who he really was. So Paul wrote this about him.
 

15 Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation 16 for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth.        NLT


When I read this passage in Colossians with my Dad in mind, it could be describing him from my childhood perspective. However, as the years passed I came to realize that my Dad wasn’t perfect; he was only human, with human weaknesses.

 

In reality, we all desire someone or something to fill this role of perfection in our life. Someone to believe in who is larger than life; someone to believe in who is god-like in our eyes; someone to believe in that loves us unconditionally.

 

19 For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ… 22 now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault.  NLT

 

Thankfully, even though Jesus was fully human, he was perfect. Because of this, we know that he loves us unconditionally; is always with us; will never forsake us. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is bigger than life and more than worthy of our love, our trust and our worship.

 

Indeed, it is our Heavenly Father that knows best. Let us come into his presence holy and blameless.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment