Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Scapegoat

1 Peter 3:13-18
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

 

 

While my daughter was in high school she played on the softball team. One particular game still sticks in my mind. I was sitting in the bleachers directly behind home plate. Standing nearby, was the father of the pitcher on my daughter’s team. Throughout the whole game, he had constantly berated the home plate umpire.

 

Finally, no doubt tired of listening to his personal castigation, the umpire wheeled around, looked straight at me and said, “If you don’t shut up, I’m going to kick you out”! I was dumb founded, and was unable to respond. The Dad who was the guilty party, also didn’t say anything. Shortly thereafter however, he left.

 

I didn’t choose to take the guilty dad’s spot on the hot seat. Given the opportunity, I wouldn’t have chosen it either. I didn’t know him. I didn’t like his berating of the umpire. He was a very negative person who seemed intent on taking the fun out of the whole game for everyone. Why would I choose to take his punishment?

 


21 He (Aaron) is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites—all their sins—and put them on the goat’s head. He shall send the goat away into the wilderness in the care of someone appointed for the task.        Leviticus 16 NIV

 

This ceremony, was a major part of the tradition of Israel on the Day of Atonement. By doing this, the goat would symbolically take all of the sins of Israel upon it. He became the “scapegoat”. He was chosen for this role. He didn’t choose to do it.

 

However, Jesus did choose to do it. He was the righteous one taking the punishment deserved by the unrighteous. Who does that? What motivates someone to willingly fulfill the role of the scapegoat?

 


18 Christ suffered for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died for sinners to bring you safely home to God. He suffered physical death, but he was raised to life in the Spirit. NLT

 

This verse tells us that Jesus willingly took our place; took our sins; became the scapegoat. He did this to “bring you safely home to God”. What an amazing picture to remember during this Easter season – the best day of the year.

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment