Saturday, July 4, 2020

Baptism by Fire


A Series on God’s Call to Ministry
Jeremiah 1:4-10
 (Use the link below to read the verses.)

[Preface: How do you know what your calling in life is? Will you know from a big bang experience? Or will it come quietly, almost imperceptible? Will you be inspired by the stories of a visiting missionary; or a book that opens your eyes to the needs of a specific people group; or from your own life experience? This series is about God’s call to ministry for your life; what it means or doesn’t mean.]


Marriage can be difficult! 

Especially when you’re first married, the battle grounds can take place over such life altering issues as… should the towels be folded in thirds or half; should the toothpaste be squeezed from the middle or the end; should the toilet paper go over or under.

Even though I thought I was ready at the time, getting married was a “baptism by fire” for me. This saying, can apply not only to getting married, but to getting a new job, taking on a responsibility at church or really, anything that involves a significant challenge where you feel unprepared.

Jeremiah faced a baptism by fire as the Lord called him to be a prophet.

Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said,
“Look, I have put my words in your mouth!
10 Today I appoint you to stand up against nations and kingdoms.
Some you must uproot and tear down, destroy and overthrow.
Others you must build up and plant.”
    NLT


Wow! That sounds like a tremendous challenge, if not overwhelming. Predictably, Jeremiah came up with excuses for why he wasn’t qualified. Like Moses, he claimed to not be able to communicate well. He also said that he was too young. The Lord responded in the same way that he did to Moses.

And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!”          NLT

The Lord also told Jeremiah that he had prepared him for this very job.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
           NIV

So when you’re feeling like you’ve been thrown into a battle and you’re learning through a baptism by fire; remember this:

The Lord is Sovereign. He has a plan for you and it didn’t just come to him on the spur of the moment. He had it planned out long ago; since before you were born. Your job is to be listening for him to speak. And when he does, don’t come up with excuses, but believe in his promises… “I will be with you; I have prepared you for this time”.




No comments:

Post a Comment