Saturday, February 13, 2021

By Comparison

 Continuing a Series on “Living by Faith”
 (Use the link below to read the verses.)
1 Samuel 12:1-11; Hebrews 11:32-34

[Hebrews 11 is a recounting of the Heroes of the Faith. Each person is commended for living “by faith”. Following these commendations we read, “Therefore, because you are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses… throw off sin; run with perseverance; fix your eyes on Jesus”. In other words, continue to live “by faith”.]


We live in a world that thrives on comparison. It starts at an early age. Mothers compare
their babies. Students compare their grades. Employees compare their paycheck, or the possessions bought with it. Throughout our lives, the message is clear; compare yourself to others to see how you stack up. It’s human nature.

 

Samuel grew up in a relatively good home. His parents observed all the religious traditions of Israel. In fact, his Mother Hannah, dedicated him to the Lord. As a result, he served as a priest, a prophet and a judge.

 

As a priest, he served in the Tabernacle with Eli. As a prophet, the Lord spoke to him when He wasn’t speaking to anyone else. As a judge, Samuel led Israel against the Philistines, and back to the Lord.

 


Samuel was even spoken of in the same breath as Moses. It doesn’t get any better than that. Unless you consider the fact that he is also mentioned in Hebrews 11 as a Hero of the Faith. By all accounts, Samuel was a very impressive guy. All of Israel could not lodge a complaint against him.

 

Here I am. If I have done anything wrong, accuse me now in the presence of the Lord and the king he has chosen. Have I taken anybody's cow or anybody's donkey? Have I cheated or oppressed anyone? Have I accepted a bribe from anyone? If I have done any of these things, I will pay back what I have taken.” The people answered, “No, you have not cheated us or oppressed us; you have not taken anything from anyone.”         NLT

 

If I compare myself to Samuel, I’m not him… but I am Joe. And the Lord created me with unique gifts, desires and experiences that perfectly fit His plan for my life. This is confirmed to me, when I read the words of David in Psalm 139.

 

13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
     NIV


 

Samuel was not perfect, but he did trust the Lord throughout his life. We can take heart from this and follow his example. And in the same way that the Lord was faithful to Samuel, He is faithful to you, and to me.

 

Therefore, let us live by faith… not by comparison.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment