Saturday, August 28, 2021

Pablum: It's Special

A Series on Living in the Wilderness
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Genesis 37:1-11

 [In this series, we will be looking at people in the Bible who lived in the wilderness. Not necessarily a wilderness of natural creation, but the metaphorical wilderness of life. In fact, there are times when we all feel like we are living in the wilderness. During those times, it’s important to remember that the Lord is still with you.]

 

Oftentimes, the baby of the family gets spoiled rotten. I know this from personal experience because I… am the baby of my family. Not only was I spoiled, but in many ways, I was the favorite; or at least my Mom favored me. Whatever I asked for, I got.


 

My siblings observed this special treatment firsthand. To this day, every time we get together, they will bring up how Mom prepared Pablum for me until I was about eight years old. They’re just jealous of course. Not because they wanted Pablum, but because I got special treatment.

 

In Genesis, we read that Joseph was favored by his Father, Jacob. Like me, Joseph got special treatment such as, the “coat of many colors”. This robe was a constant reminder to his brothers of just how much their Father loved Joseph more than them.

 

In addition, Joseph didn’t do himself any favors to endear himself to his brothers. First, he would bring bad reports to his Father regarding them. Secondly, he told his brothers about a dream that he had. In that dream, Joseph’s brothers bowed down to him. Needless to say, they resented him even more.

 

Finally, Jacob sent Joseph to find his brothers and report on their behavior while they were tending the sheep. When he did find them, they hatched a plot to kill him. Instead, they decided to sell him to the Midianites, who then took Joseph to Egypt where he was sold as a slave to Potiphar, an official of Pharaoh.

 

In some ways, Joseph lived in two different wildernesses. One was growing up in a family where his brothers resented him to the point of wanting to kill him. The second was living in Egypt, away from his family and home.

 

But the Lord was at work through all of it; He had a plan. That plan was revealed when Joseph spoke these words to his brothers when they came to him during a famine, bowing down, and asking for food.

 

20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.    Genesis 50:20 NIV

 

Thankfully, my siblings never treated me like Joseph’s did. Regardless, I have lived in my share of wildernesses; some of my own making and some not. Looking back, I can see how the Lord has been at work in my life through all of them

 

Regardless of how your wildernesses have come about, take comfort in the fact that the Lord has a plan; that He loves you; and that He is always with you.

 

Copyright 2021 Joseph B Williams

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment