Saturday, April 23, 2022

Here I Am

A Series on the “I Am” statements of Jesus
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Exodus 3:1-15

[Moses encountered God at the burning bush where the Lord gave His name as “I Am”. Jesus used that same name for himself, thus claiming to BE God. In this series, we’re going to look at the “I Am” statements of Jesus to learn about him and about God.]



 


Twenty years ago, I used to run a basketball league for inner city youth. 


During a game, when the ball went out of bounds, my head referee would always say, “Here I am”. It was his way of saying, “Give me the ball”. It was reassuring for me to hear those words because I knew that Chip would faithfully keep control of the game.

 

Prior to this passage in Exodus, the Hebrew people had been enslaved to the Egyptians and had cried out to God for His help. He heard their cries and appeared before Moses in the burning bush. It was here that God laid out His plan to rescue the Israelites.


 

At first God’s plan sounded really good to Moses. But then, God made a sudden, unexpected turn when He told Moses that Moses was to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, not God. Immediately, Moses began to make excuses, but the Lord reassured him with this promise.

 

12 And God said, “I will be with you.       NIV

 

However, it didn’t satisfy Moses’ fear of returning to Egypt where he had fled as a criminal. So, he asked the Lord, what if the Israelites ask for your name.

 

14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”    NIV

 


My NIV study bible said the following about these two verses.

 

“In verse 12, the Hebrew word translated “I will be with you” is the same as the one translated “I am” in verse 14.”

 

In verse 14, “I am who I am” is the name by which God wished to be known and worshiped in Israel - the name that expressed his character as the dependable and faithful God who desires the full trust of his people.”

 


God is always faithful! You can’t say that about anybody else… even Chip. The Lord promised Moses that He would be with him. The Lord makes this same promise to you and to me.

 

Therefore, listen for His words as He calls out to you saying, “Here I am”. Then put the ball in His hands… and trust the Lord.

 


Copyright 2022 Joseph B Williams

 

No comments:

Post a Comment