Saturday, June 11, 2022

An Adrenaline Rush

A Series on the “I Am” statements of Jesus
“I Am the true vine”
(Click on the link below to read the verses.)
John 14:15-15:17

[Moses encountered God at the burning bush where the Lord gave His name as “I Am”. Jesus used that same name for himself, thus claiming to BE God. In this series, we’re looking at the “I Am” statements of Jesus to learn about him and about God.]

 


Some people love to take risks; even risks that feel dangerous. Extreme sports fall into this category. Things like skate boarding, sky diving or bungee jumping. Before taking the plunge, the participant experiences an adrenaline rush… so I’m told.

 

You might compare an adrenaline rush to the Spirit of God.

 

In the Old Testament, the Spirit was present in “a specific person, at a specific time, for a specific task”. Think of Gideon when he was about to battle the Midianites; or Samson bringing down the temple on the Philistines; or Elijah facing off against the priests of Baal on Mount Carmel.

 

In John 14, Jesus is just finishing in the upper room with his disciples. He knows what his future holds and is preparing them for it. It’s here that he promises them the Holy Spirit. Not for a specific time and specific task, but as an in-dwelling, continuous advocate.

 


26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.         NIV

 

Then in John 15, Jesus makes this statement.

 

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.            NIV

 

This is a metaphor that helps us to understand how the Holy Spirit works; how we stay connected with Jesus and each other; and how we bear fruit for the kingdom of Heaven. Jesus is the vine, we are the branches and God the Father, is the gardener.

 



Jesus promised the disciples the Holy Spirit. That promise holds true today. He is called the Advocate, Counselor, Comforter, Encourager, Intercessor and Helper. He is always with you and me to keep us connected to the true vine, to each other and to bear fruit.

 

Copyright 2022 Joseph B Williams

 

No comments:

Post a Comment