Saturday, September 3, 2022

The $12.6 Million Card

A Series on the parables of Jesus
(Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Matthew 13:44-46 

[During the first century, it was common for a rabbi to use parables when teaching their disciples. The parables of Jesus were stories that he told to illustrate spiritual truth using some element from everyday life. Jesus used seeds, fish, trees, bread - things people could easily relate to – for a “teachable moment”.]

  


If you haven’t heard, a 1952 Mickey Mantle Topps baseball card recently sold for $12.6 million!

 

In the 60’s, I was an avid baseball card collector. There was always a high level of excitement as I would open a pack to see who I got; if it was a card that I needed; if there was a player that I really liked. If nothing else, I got to chew the cardboard like stick of Bazooka bubble gum that came with it.

 

In 1961, I actually collected the complete set of Topps cards; all 587! This included Al Kaline (I was a Tiger’s fan), Willie Mays, Roger Maris, Roberto Clemente, Whitey Ford, Sandy Koufax, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial and yes… Mickey Mantle!

 

44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.       NIV

 


According to my NIV Study Bible, “These two parables teach the same truth: The kingdom is of such great value that one should be willing to give up all one has in order to gain it.”

 

As an eleven-year-old boy, I took this idea to heart. I collected those baseball cards as if I was looking for “treasure hidden in a field” or “a pearl of great value”.  I was obsessed with getting all 587 cards in the set… no matter what the cost. I even ended up with tons of duplicate cards. But it was all worth it!

 

But these parables raise a question... why. Why did Jesus come to tell us about the kingdom of heaven? Why is the kingdom of heaven “worth it”?

 

The answer is in a Southern folk hymn from the early 1800’s titled, “What Wondrous Love is This”. It tells the story of just how much Jesus loves us.

 

What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
to bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul.

 

To God and to the Lamb, who is the great I AM,
while millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing.

 

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing his love for me,
and through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on.

 

It’s not too late for you to start “collecting cards” so that you might find “treasure hidden in a field” or “a pearl of great value”.  The kingdom of heaven is offered because of his wondrous love. It’s worth much, much more than $12.6 million.

 

***

15 Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!

                                                                                                Matthew 11 NLT

 

Copyright 2022 Joseph B Williams

 

 

If you would like to listen to “What Wondrous Love is This”, the link is found below.

 What Wondrous Love is This

 

No comments:

Post a Comment