Saturday, March 4, 2023

Keys to the Kingdom

A Series on Lent
Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
John 13:1-17 

[Lent is a 40-day season of personal reflection through prayer, fasting and giving in order to prepare your heart to celebrate the Lord’s Resurrection at Easter. We will be following Jesus through the Gospel of John as he enters Jerusalem for Passover, and the ensuing events that led up to his trial, crucifixion and resurrection.]

  

When I was in high school, my parents had a Buick Wildcat. It had a vanity mirror on the passenger side that read, “Buick is a beauty too”! But the best thing about it was that it had a 325-horsepower engine with 400 cubic inches!!! 

In other words, it could go really fast, really quick!

 

On one occasion my Dad gave me the keys to the car to go to a meeting at school. It was at night during the winter. When I turned out of our neighborhood onto the highway, I put the pedal to the medal. That is, until I started fishtailing on the icy bridge over the river.

 

Having the keys to anything is significant. It carries a great deal of responsibility and opportunity. The disciples were given keys… the keys to the kingdom. It all started with the Passover meal.

 

This was a celebration for when the Israelites were freed from slavery under Egypt. During the first Passover meal, the blood of a sacrificial lamb was smeared over the doorpost of every Jewish home to protect them. It was also the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread when the Passover lamb was sacrificed.

 

The Last Super was a tsunami of epic proportions. It was the fulfillment of God’s promise of redemption to his chosen people. Jesus was to become the sacrificial Passover lamb. But how would his mission of bringing people to the Kingdom of God continue?

 

In Luke’s description of the Last Supper, he includes Jesus telling his disciples that one of them will betray him. The disciples react defensively. You can imagine the conversation. “I didn’t betray him. I’ve sacrificed everything for him.” “I’ve sacrificed more than you. I’m the greatest”. But Jesus told them this.

 

28 “You are those who have stayed with me in my trials, 29 and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom…      Luke 22 ESV

 

In other words, Jesus passed the keys to the kingdom to his disciples.

 


In light of their argument, Jesus also gives them an object lesson in humility by washing their feet. However, he’s not just giving them a lesson in humility. He’s giving them a lesson on how to handle the keys to the kingdom.

 


When Jesus asked the disciples, who do you say that I am, Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus then passed him the keys.

 

18 Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Matthew 16 NLT


 

Like the disciples, we also receive the keys to the kingdom with one expectation… use them. Use them with humility. Use them to share the Kingdom of God with others. Use them to accomplish great things. But above all else, use them.

 

Copyright 2023 Joseph B Williams

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment