Saturday, May 6, 2023

Piano Man

A Series on the parables of Jesus – Part 2
A divided kingdom – the 2nd of 2 blogs
(Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Luke 11:14-23

 

[During the first century, it was common for a rabbi to use parables when teaching their disciples. The parables of Jesus were stories that he told to illustrate spiritual truth using some element from everyday life. Jesus used seeds, fish, trees, bread - things people could easily relate to – for a “teachable moment”.]

 

 

Growing up, my three older siblings all took piano. For some reason, when it was my turn, my parents never made me take it. Even though I never learned, I’ve always loved piano music. So, when I retired, it seemed like the perfect time to become the "Piano Man". Look out Billy Joel!

 

However, it’s been a slow process that requires discipline and work. (Thought I was done with that.) For the past nine months, I’ve practiced for thirty minutes or more, five days a week after lunch. Keeping this schedule helps me to make sure that I don’t get distracted by other activities.

 

In other words, to reach my goal of playing the piano, I have to be single minded.

 

The topic of being single minded came up early in Jesus’ ministry when he healed a demon possessed man. Some suggested that Jesus might be the Son of David. But the Pharisees, most likely out of jealousy and wanting to discredit Jesus, accused him of being possessed and driving out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons.

 

Speaking to the Pharisees in parables, Jesus made this point.

 


17 He knew their thoughts, so he said, “Any kingdom divided by civil war is doomed. A family splintered by feuding will fall apart. 18 You say I am empowered by Satan. But if Satan is divided and fighting against himself, how can his kingdom survive?    NLT

 

Like a court room attorney, Jesus logically argues that what he’s being accused of doesn’t make sense. Because even Satan is single minded in his mission to “lie, steal and destroy”.

 

Then Jesus adds this parable.

 

21 “When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe. 22 But when someone stronger attacks and overpowers him, he takes away the armor in which the man trusted and divides up his plunder.    NIV

 

In other words, Satan may be single minded, but even at his strongest, Jesus is stronger. This is why Jesus was able to drive out the demon. Plus it’s good news for you and me that Jesus is still stronger than the devil himself.

 

Speaking to the crowds, Jesus then draws his final conclusion.

 


23 “Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.       NLT

 

Like learning to play the piano, “working with Jesus” takes discipline and work. And to do that, we must be single minded.

 

Copyright 2023 Joseph B Williams

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment