Saturday, June 22, 2024

Desperate and Dateless

A Series on the Psalms – a collection of prayers
Feeling desperate
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Psalm 142 

[Life is filled with emotions. The book of Psalms is a collection of prayers that express our emotions which are the cry of our soul for help and hope. In this series, we will be looking into the Psalms to learn more about ourselves and our Lord.]

  


“Desperate and Dateless” was a radio program broadcast out of Cincinnati back in the 70’s and 80’s. The concept was that single people were so desperate for a date that they would do anything to get one. Even calling the radio station.

 

Speaking of desperate, the army of Israel was so afraid of Goliath, that none of them would fight him. Despite being untested in battle, David volunteered. In the name of the Lord, he stood his ground and killed Goliath. As a result, David became a household name and a national hero.

 

But King Saul became jealous beyond reason. He pursued David with the sole intent of killing him. And pity anyone who helped David, because Saul had them killed too including the priests of Nob. Eighty-five in all, plus their entire families.

 

Saul was clearly out of his mind! David, with his four hundred men, fled from Saul going from town to town. In one town, David even pretended to be crazy in order to escape. Later he fled into the wilderness to hide.

 

Finally, David and his men hid deep inside a cave. Meanwhile, with his three thousand men waiting nearby, Saul entered the exact same cave. David appeared to be trapped. It’s based on this experience that he wrote his psalm.

 

3-4 “As I sink in despair, my spirit ebbing away,
    you know how I’m feeling,
Know the danger I’m in,
    the traps hidden in my path.
Look right, look left—
    there’s not a soul who cares what happens!
I’m up against the wall, with no exit—
    it’s just me, all alone.
      MSG

 

David experienced what it was like to feel desperate. He knew it deep inside his soul. And in his desperation, he called out to the Lord for help.

 


5-6 “I cry out, God, call out:
    ‘You’re my last chance, my only hope for life!’
Oh listen, please listen;
    I’ve never been this low.
Rescue me from those who are hunting me down;
    I’m no match for them.
               MSG

 

Feelings of desperation come to all of us one time or another. For the listeners of “Desperate and Dateless”, that meant calling the talk show host. But for you and me, the example to follow is David who called out to the Lord.

 

8a Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.    NKJV             James 4

 

Copyright 2024 Joseph B Williams

www.lifelinebasketball.blogspot.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment