Saturday, April 11, 2015

Touched by an Angel


Hebrews 13:1-9

 

 

“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”                Hebrews 13:2 RSV

 

Have you ever had an encounter with an angel? From 1994 to 2003 there was a TV show titled “Touched by an Angel”. Most of the episodes involved someone who was at a crossroad in their life. Monica and Tess brought them a message of hope; that God loved them and hadn’t forgotten them, and helped give them guidance.

 

In the Bible, angels make their first appearance in Genesis. Last week we read about the angels that greeted the disciples as they looked for Jesus in the tomb. Angels announced the birth of Jesus to the shepherds. They prepared Mary and Joseph for his arrival. They worshiped God in Isaiah’s vision.

 

Angels seem to play a very significant role in the Bible. And yet, I have never had an encounter with one that I am aware of. I have never been touched by angel. Or have I?

 

I grew up in a small town in Michigan and lived in a subdivision full of kids. This subdivision was bordered by M46 on the south side. It was a busy highway and there was a hill that leveled out just as you approached the town. Cars would come flying over that hill just before the speed limit was to slow down.

 

When I was about 10 years old, a friend of mine was hit by a car flying over that hill. A year or so later, I ran out onto that same stretch of road as a car came down the hill. If he had hit me, he could have easily killed me. But he didn’t. He swerved at the last second. I don’t claim that an angel protected me, but who’s to say.

 

Although the passage today mentions angels, I think what is more important is that it presents the character of God. The Message gives us some insight with these words, “God assured us, ‘I’ll never let you down, never walk off and leave you’”. A few verses later we are reminded that, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever”.

 

Have you ever been touched by an angel? I don’t know if an angel protected me on that highway as a little boy, but what I do know is that Jesus has always been with me. He never leaves me. He won’t desert me. And if you know Jesus; if he is your Lord and Savior; if he is in your heart; you have been “Touched by an Angel”.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment