Saturday, May 28, 2016

Teachable Moments


Psalm 25:1-9
(All verses are from the New King James Version.)

  


Teachable Moments… We all have them, but do we always learn from them? For me it usually takes a 2x4 upside the head before I say, “Oh yeah!” The Israelites were like that. They learned the same lesson over and over and over again. Kind of makes you wonder if they actually ever learned it at all.

 

David’s prayer in Psalm 25 is about teachable moments during the crucible of life.

O my God, I trust in You;
Let me not be ashamed;
Let not my enemies triumph over me.
  

 

We know that David had many enemies. Some of them were those closest to him. Saul, his mentor, hunted him down like an animal. His own son, Absalom, rebelled against David declaring himself king. Indeed, David knew what it was like to have mortal enemies, but he also knew what it meant to struggle with enemies within.

Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions;
According to Your mercy remember me,
For Your goodness’ sake, O Lord.
          

 

David’s sins are well documented. He seduced Bathsheba with his power, and then had her husband, who was a courageous warrior for David, killed in battle; quite a resume of failure. But in this Psalm, David cries out to the Lord and asks him to use his failures, his struggles and his enemies to teach him.

Show me Your ways, O Lord;
Teach me Your paths.
Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For You are the God of my salvation;
 

No matter what kind of struggles you face, how big your
demons are, how overpowering your temptations, how shameful your past sins; God can teach you, change you and use you for His Kingdom.

 

 
 
Just cry out to Him like David.

To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, I trust in You… On You I wait all the day.        

 

 
 
 
 
And the Lord will answer.

Good and upright is the Lord;
Therefore He teaches sinners in the way.

The humble He guides in justice,
And the humble He teaches His way.

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment