Saturday, December 3, 2016

A Plaster Cast and Peanut Jesus

(Peace: The 2nd of 4 devotionals on Advent.)

Psalm 139:1-18

 

 

In 1982, at the ripe old age of 2, our daughter Tara made this Christmas ornament at church; a plaster cast of her hand print. Until she was married, this ornament hung on our Christmas tree every year. Christmas trees and ornaments go hand in hand. They are a Christmas tradition.

 

Traditions are very good at creating security, serenity and peace. When we think we know what waits for us around the corner of life, we experience peace. But life doesn’t always turn out like what we think we know. We can be the best planner in the world when something unexpected happens.

 

During those times, it’s important to remember who is in control. In fact, it is important to remember who is in control all the time. Tara may not have been aware of it when she made this ornament, but God was at work in her life… even before then.

 

13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit them together in my mother’s womb. 14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous—and how well I know it. 15 You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion! 16 You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book!  TLB

 

Tara also made this ornament. We call it, “Peanut Jesus”. It’s the baby Jesus (made of a peanut shell) in a manger. This baby who became a man is the one who brings peace into our world, not only during those times when everything is going according to plan, but also when our world is turned upside down.

 

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are here. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.   NIV

 

A plaster cast and “Peanut Jesus”… who would have guessed that Christmas ornaments could be symbols that would give us guidance for peace in our lives.

 

 

 
 

(If God has spoken to you through this devotional, please feel free to share it with others.)
 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment