Saturday, November 25, 2017

Expect The Unexpected

Sometimes I don’t recognize how God is at work providing for my needs.

 

In 2012 I had surgery on my ankle. Shortly afterwards, before my first physical therapy session, my therapist observed that my ankle was quite swollen. He immediately sent me to the hospital where they discovered that I had a blood clot. As you probably realize, blood clots, if not detected, can be fatal.

 

Recently I shared this story with a friend. His response was, “Wow! God really provided for you”. It’s more than a little embarrassing for me to admit that after more than five years, it had never occurred to me that God had provided this physical therapist who very well may have saved my life.

 

All the creatures look expectantly to you
    to give them their meals on time.
You come, and they gather around;
    you open your hand and they eat from it.
     MSG

 

We live in a society based on modern technology and information; not an agrarian society based on farming. Psalm 104 was written by someone living in an agrarian society whose livelihood depended on the weather, on the soil and little seeds. Today, most of us buy our food at Whole Foods or some other mega grocery store.

 

But if you expand your understanding of the verses above to not just mean the food you eat, but to include all of the needs that you have, then you begin to understand how expansive God’s provision actually is. It even includes a physical therapist’ insightful observation.


 

Scripture tells us, Every good and perfect gift is from above”. Jesus said, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working." He also referred to himself as “The Bread of Life”. God’s ultimate provision is that Jesus was sacrificed in our place.

 

There is much to be thankful for during this Thanksgiving. But there are so many small, unexpected ways that God provides for us every day. Things we are never even aware of. The lesson for me is to expect the unexpected. Expect that God will show up.
 

Therefore, let us pray using the words of the Psalmist,


 
 
(If God has spoken to you through this blog, please feel free to share the link with others.)

No comments:

Post a Comment