Saturday, July 13, 2019

Now you’re Cooking with Gas

A Series on the Milestones in Jesus’ Life
Mark 1:1-11
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

 

When I was in high school and was working on my math homework, sometimes I would get stuck and I would ask my Dad for help. What I really wanted though, was for him to just tell me the right answer. That would make it much faster and easier. But he never did.

 

He would make me work through the problem by asking me questions that made me think. Ugh! Then, at some point, a light would come on; and suddenly, I would get it.

 

Usually at that time Dad would say, “Now you’re cooking with gas”. I didn’t know exactly what that meant, or where the saying came from; but I knew it was his way of saying, “Good job, Joe Boy. I’m proud of you”. When he said that, I felt like I could conquer the world; or at least the world of math.

 

John had a mission that was inspired by the prophet Isaiah. “He was a voice shouting in the wilderness.” John was preparing the way for the Messiah by calling people to confess; to repent; to turn away from their sins; and to be baptized. Then one day, Jesus came to be baptized.

 

At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”     NIV

 

John had prepared the way for Jesus. In the process, John had become very popular; but now it was time for the focus to shift to Jesus. His baptism was the passing of the mantle of ministry. It was a milestone in Jesus’ life.

 

With his Heavenly Father’s affirmation, Jesus was sent into a life of ministry. It was to be a life of trials, troubles and temptations. Yet, he went into it knowing that his Father, his Dad, loved him and would always be with him constantly at work through him and in him.
 

You probably haven’t heard an audible voice telling you, “You are my son, my daughter, whom I love.” Yet, this same affirmation; this same love; this same promise is there for you and me today. How should we respond?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment