Saturday, August 17, 2019

The Mountaintop

A Series on the Milestones in Jesus’ Life
Luke 9:28-36
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

  

When I was in college, our church would hold a retreat for all the students.
We would be gone for forty-eight hours, and during that time we had a speaker, singing, games and fellowship. Usually, I would come home excited about my Christian faith. It was a mountaintop experience; but nothing like the one Jesus had.

 

2 …Jesus took Peter, John, and James up on a mountain to pray. 29 And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was transformed, and his clothes became dazzling white. 30 Suddenly, two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared and began talking with Jesus. 31 They were glorious to see. And they were speaking about his exodus from this world, which was about to be fulfilled in Jerusalem.   NLT

 

Although Peter, James and John were there, they had fallen asleep. When they woke up, Peter started talking without thinking, and suggested building a memorial for Jesus, Moses and Elijah. What happened next was nothing short of miraculous.

 


34 While he (Peter) was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. 35 A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.”       NIV

 

Consider this interpretation of the story.

Jesus knew that he was about to go to Jerusalem; he knew what would happen to him there; he knew that he was about to experience the most painful part of his life. He also knew, that this was why he had been chosen.

But before going, he asked his closest disciples, and friends, to pray with him on a mountain. He wanted them to be with him; and he needed to be with his Heavenly Father. While there, he was transformed physically, emotionally and spiritually. It was a mountaintop experience; a milestone in his life.

Now he was ready to face whatever waited for him.

 

I’ve never come away from a retreat where my face has been transformed or my cloths became dazzling white. But I have come away knowing that I have been in the presence of God; feeling stronger in my faith; sensing greater purpose and mission in my life; and being ready for whatever was in my future.

 

You don’t have to go on a retreat to be in the presence of God.
 
 
But it’s important for us to make time to go to the Mountaintop; to spend extended time in His presence; to listen to His still, small voice; and to be transformed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment