Saturday, September 28, 2019

A Place Called Home

A Series on the Milestones in Jesus’ Life
John 14:1-14
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

 

My wife and I are big Michigan State football fans.
 
She grew up going to the games because her Dad had season tickets. Years later, when we were first married and I was still in school there, we bought season tickets. Then, about twelve years ago, we bought season tickets again and have been going ever since. Needless to say, we live and die with every play.

 

I’m only slightly embarrassed to confess that I also record the games on our DVR. Then, sometime during the following week, I watch it again. Only the second time is without stress. It doesn’t matter how many first downs we give up, turnovers we commit, opportunities we miss or points our opponents score; because I already know the final outcome.

 

The same must have been true for Jesus’ disciples after his resurrection. We know that they faced extremely difficult times with many of them ending their life as martyrs. What kept them focused during such extreme persecution? How did they handle the stress?

 

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.   NLT

 

Jesus spoke these words to his disciples before he was crucified. When Jesus fulfills this promise, it will be an amazing milestone. Following his ascension, Jesus’ disciples could securely rest in his promise to return for them. The Good News for us is that his words still hold true today.

 

When life is difficult; when you are experiencing pain and suffering; when a loved one suddenly dies or you lose your job or feel rejected or are struck down with a critical illness; you already know the final outcome. You know that Jesus is preparing a place for you to join him.

 

It’s a place called home.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment