Saturday, September 21, 2019

Show Me

A Series on the Milestones in Jesus’ Life
John 20
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

  


Missouri is the “show me state”! Legend has it that in 1899, Missouri's U.S. Congressman, Willard Duncan Vandiver, gave a speech at a naval banquet in Philadelphia where he declared, "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

 

The disciples were the same way. When Jesus did miracles, the disciples were standing right there; watching. But they didn’t see Jesus reach the milestone when he rose from the dead. As a result, when they heard about it they said, “Show me”.

 

The women, after finding the empty tomb, told the disciples about their discovery. Instead of believing them, Peter and John ran to the tomb to see for themselves; as if to say, “Show me”.

 

The biggest doubter of all was Thomas. “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” Again, show me!

 

Stubbornness and doubt are a part of human nature. People want to see for themselves before they believe. Jesus knew this would hold his disciples back. So he decided on a more direct approach.

 

Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”       NIV

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.            NIV

 

Jesus sent his disciples in the power of the Holy Spirit. At this point, they didn’t respond anymore by saying, “Show me”. They just went.

 

How will you respond to the risen Christ? Will you say, “Show me”? Or will you say, “Here am I Lord. Send me”?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment