Saturday, December 7, 2019

Peace on Earth

A Series on Advent
Luke 2:8-15; Philippians 4:4-9
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

 

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
 
14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” 
      Luke 2



Where do you go to find peace on earth?

 

The Advent season is a time of preparation; of reflection; of contemplation on the true meaning of Christmas. Unfortunately, the reality of Advent is far from that. Instead of being “the most wonderful time of the year”, like the song goes, often times, it’s the most stressful time of the year. And for many, the most depressing.

 

So how do we experience peace in our lives?
 
Growing up, I used to draw mountain scenes during art class. Silhouettes of one mountain range in front of the other. If I was to analyze why I liked drawing those scenes, I think it might have been because it was so peaceful that it brought me peace.

 

As an adult, many years ago, I was going through a time of transition where I was leaving my twenty year career with a youth ministry. I decided to go away for a twenty-four hour retreat by myself. No phones, no TV, no interruptions; just meditating on God’s word and prayer. When I returned, I was a different person. I had peace about the decision that I was about to make.

 

Paul had a significant insight into peace.


Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  ESV

This is sound advice that Paul gave to the church in Philippi. And it still applies to us today. When I went away for that overnight of prayer and meditation, it brought me peace, not only for my decision, but for my life.

 

Therefore, during this time when peace on earth is talked about a great deal, may you actually experience the peace that “passes all understanding”. Not only now, but throughout the year.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment