Saturday, December 21, 2019

Won’t You be My Neighbor?

A Series on Advent - Love
Isaiah 9:6; John 3:16-17; John 1:14; 1 John 4:9-10
(Use the link below to read the verses.)
 

If you haven’t seen the movie “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” - you should.
 
 
There is a scene where Mr. Rogers is having lunch with a journalist by the name of Lloyd Vogel in a busy New York City restaurant. Vogel has been driven throughout his life by his deep seated anger towards his Father, who deserted his Mother when she was dying.

 

During the conversation, Mr. Rogers leans over the dining table, looks him in the eyes and says this to Lloyd Vogel, “Take a minute to be still, and to think of all the people who loved you into being”. As he did this, the whole restaurant grew quiet; as did the theatre.

 

When I took a few minutes to think about Mr. Rogers’ advice, my parents came to mind. My Mom always supported me and believed in me no matter what. Like a momma bear with her cub, my Mom would have defended me to the death. She loved me without limits.

 

My Dad didn’t really know how to express his love, but he did provide for me. And, he took me places on Saturdays. He took me to the bank; to his office; to sporting events. It may not sound like much, but that was how he showed his love.

 

Christmas is a good time to think about “who loved you into being”. Psalm 139 tells us this.
 


13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
     NIV

 
Indeed, He did create us into being, and yet something is missing in our life unless we have discovered the truth of Christmas.
 

God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.           NLT

 
The lyrics from the theme song from Mr. Rogers’ TV show begin like this:

 
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine? Could you be mine? Won't you be my neighbor?

 
That’s what Jesus is saying to you this Christmas. Won’t you be his neighbor?

 
14 So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.            NLT

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment