Saturday, May 16, 2020

One plus One


A Series on God’s Call to Ministry
Luke 4:14-21
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

[Preface: How do you know what your calling in life is? Will you know from a big bang experience? Or will it come quietly, almost imperceptible? Will you be inspired by the stories of a visiting missionary; or a book that opens your eyes to the needs of a specific people group; or from your own life experience? This series is about God’s call to ministry for your life; what it means or doesn’t mean.]



One plus one is two; two plus two is four; three plus three is six. You get the idea. It’s basic math. You start with addition, go to subtraction, elevate to multiplication and take a quantum leap to division. You have to master the basics before you jump into analytical geometry or calculus. A foundation must be laid.

The same is true with regards to your faith. You start with a simple concept… “Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so”. Then you move on to a more mature understanding… “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” A foundation is laid in order to develop a fuller understanding.

I believe the same principle is true with regards to our calling to ministry; at least it was for me. God’s call on my life took years before I began to follow it; understand it; and owned it. He brought people, circumstances and experiences into my life that were well beyond the realm of just being coincidental.

He took a simple, specific desire of “using basketball to reach black inner city boys for Christ”, and grew it into a twenty-five year career of full time ministry.

When Jesus went to the synagogue in his hometown of Nazareth, he stood up and read the following prophecy from Isaiah.

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
       NIV

Following the reading, he sat down and said, “Today this scripture is fulfilled”. By making this statement, he was claiming to be the expected Messiah.

This passage helped me in my understanding of the calling God had given me. Not that I saw myself to be Jesus; but as someone who had been called to bring the message of hope, freedom and salvation to those who needed to hear it.


What is your call to ministry?




No comments:

Post a Comment