Saturday, May 2, 2020

Here am I. Send Me.

Reaching Higher: A Series on My Journey of Discipleship
Isaiah 6:1-9
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

[Preface: This series is autobiographical to the extent that it is loosely based on my spiritual journey. In some ways, you could compare it to the stock market with a gradual overall increase, but many ups and downs; even a crash or two. Through it all though, the Lord has loved me and been with me the whole time. I hope you find my journey encouraging, but also, that the Lord might speak to you through it.]

 

How do you know what your calling in life is?

During the period between dropping out of college at Michigan Tech and returning to school at Michigan State, something happened to me. It was during this interim time that I experienced God’s call on my life… only I didn’t know it.

 

It came in the form of a simple specific desire; the desire “to use basketball to reach young black boys for Christ”. The Lord grew that mustard seed size desire for ministry, one step at a time, into twenty five years of working with urban youth.

 

In the Temple, Isaiah sees an awe inspiring vision of the Lord, including seraphim with six wings.

 In a great antiphonal chorus they sang,
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
the whole earth is filled with his glory.”
Such singing it was! It shook the Temple to its foundations, and suddenly the entire sanctuary was filled with smoke. TLB

 
 

As a result of coming face to face with the holy Lord Almighty, Isaiah was struck by his own sinfulness. It was only through the Lord that his sins were forgiven. Following this, Isaiah felt the call of God on his life.

 

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
“Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”           NIV

 

It took me years to figure out what the Lord wanted me to do; what my calling was. Not everyone has a rock concert “call of God” experience like Isaiah. More often, I think our Father calls us in a “still small voice”, and takes us through a series of steps. After all, if we knew what was on the road ahead, we might never go.



How do you know what your calling in life is?

Look at the people in your life; look at the things you enjoy doing and are good at; look at the opportunities around you; look at the desires of your heart.

Don’t miss his “still small voice” while listening for the smoke and thunder. Don’t let the business of life; the intimidation of the unknown; or the fear of rejection keep you from what the Lord has called you to do.



Then… take your first small step.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment