Saturday, March 20, 2021

When Life Knocks You Down

 A Series on Lent
 (Use the link below to read the verses.)
Matthew 17:1-11

[As we approach Easter, consider the example that Jesus set by spending forty days alone in the wilderness to prepare for his ministry and his ultimate sacrifice on the cross. Lent is a forty day period with a focus on spending some time with Jesus; to meditate on who he is and what he did for us. This Lenten series is about people who spent time with Jesus; and as a result, their lives were changed forever.]

 

When life knocks you down, how do you respond?

 

You have lots of choices. You might feel sorry for yourself, blame others or resort to self-destructive behavior. You might lash out at others. Or maybe you’re the type of person that turns inward and gets very quiet; blaming yourself and feeling like there is something inherently wrong with you.

 

It doesn’t have to be some terrible circumstance either. It can be a harsh, thoughtless word spoken by someone close to you. It can be a condescending remark of a teacher or coach in front of the class or team. It can be feeling left out of a social activity. There are lots of ways that life can knock you down.

 

The story from Matthew 17 is an example of this. Peter, James and John didn’t suffer from adversity, but life knocked them down just the same.

 

While Peter was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.” When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.   NIV

 


How Jesus responded to them is significant. He gently touched them and encouraged them with his words. Although this was a fairly minor setback, Jesus knew how difficult life was going to get for his disciples in the near future. He knew they would experience some serious knock downs from life.

 

As I began to write this blog, I asked myself, “When did life knock me down”? Included in my list was when my fiancĂ© unceremoniously dumped me. It includes our first born child that was still born. It includes a period of a few short years when my Mom and my wife’s Dad, sister and brother all died.

 

And how did I respond? With the comfort and support of friends and family, I eventually survived these events. But also, I experienced strength from the gentle touch of my


Heavenly Father, and the comfort of his words saying, “Get up. Don’t be afraid. You are my son and I love you”.

 

When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment