Saturday, May 28, 2022

Do You Believe This?

A Series on the “I Am” statements of Jesus
“I Am the resurrection and the life.”
(Click on the link below to read the verses.)
John 11:1-44

[Moses encountered God at the burning bush where the Lord gave His name as “I Am”. Jesus used that same name for himself, thus claiming to BE God. In this series, we’re looking at the “I Am” statements of Jesus to learn about him and about God.]

  


We go to school from kindergarten through high school to learn. Some people continue their education by going to college. But sometimes book learning isn’t enough. Sometimes in order to really learn a lesson, for it to truly take root deep in our heart and in our soul, we have to learn a life lesson.

 

Such was the case for Martha.

 

Ever since the Festival of the Tabernacles, there had been a great deal of conflict between Jesus and the religious leaders about who he was. In fact, things had become so contentious that the Jews had threatened to stone Jesus because he had claimed, “I and the Father are one”.

 

For his own safety, and because the time wasn’t right, Jesus had retreated to the other side of the Jordan River. While he was there, a messenger from Martha and Mary came saying that their brother Lazarus was very sick, and to come quickly.

 

Jesus had a very special friendship with Lazarus, Martha and Mary. In fact, Scripture tells us that he loved them. Despite that, instead of leaving immediately, Jesus waited for two days saying that it was “for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it”.

 

When Jesus arrived, Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days. Martha went to Jesus and seemed to try and make him feel guilty at first, but then confessed her belief that God would do whatever Jesus asked of him.


 

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

27 “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”          NIV

 

Martha nailed it! She knew exactly who Jesus was! He had asked the same question of the Scribes and the Pharisees, and they didn’t believe it. He asks the same question to you and to me.


 

"Do you believe this?” Do you believe that “I am the resurrection and the life”? Do you really believe that I can bring life to Lazarus? Do you really believe that I can bring life to someone who is spiritually dead? Do you really believe that I can bring life into impossible circumstances?

 

“Do you believe”?

 

Copyright 2022 Joseph B Williams

 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment