Saturday, May 21, 2022

Lost and Found

A Series on the “I Am” statements of Jesus
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
John 9:35-10:21 

[Moses encountered God at the burning bush where the Lord gave His name as “I Am”. Jesus used that same name for himself, thus claiming to BE God. In this series, we’re looking at the “I Am” statements of Jesus to learn about him and about God.]

  




My Mom was a great finder! Anything that I lost, she found. The house that I grew up in had a large backyard which was great for playing baseball. Behind our yard was an overgrown field of tall grass and weeds. Perfect for losing a misdirected ball.

 

On one occasion when I lost my baseball, I can picture my Mom patiently and systematically walking through the field looking for it. It’s not that the ball cost so much that she didn’t want to buy another. But she cared because it was important to me. And because she loved me, she looked until she found it.

 

Jesus was a great finder too! He was good at finding lost people, even when the Pharisees tried their hardest to keep him from finding them. In John 9, the story of healing the man born blind highlights this very point out.

 

When Jesus healed the man born blind, the Pharisees saw red! The healing was done on the Sabbath and NO work was allowed on the Sabbath. The Pharisees left no stone unturned as they investigated how the man had been healed.

 

Truth be told, they were on a mission to discredit Jesus. They didn’t really care about the man born blind; about his physical, emotional, social or spiritual wellbeing. In fact, towards the end of the story they excommunicated him. Here’s what happened next.

 

35 Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and when he found him, he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?” 36 “Who is he, sir?” the man asked. “Tell me so that I may believe in him.” 37 Jesus said, “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.” 38 Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.                    NIV



Jesus sought him out, cared for him and brought him to faith. He was a good shepherd, and claimed that title.

 



14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, 15 just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep.     NLT

 

Lost and found. That’s what Jesus did. That’s what Jesus does.

 

Copyright 2022 Joseph B Williams

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment