Saturday, August 12, 2023

Hit by a Truck

A series on the Psalms - the voice of emotions
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
When you’re feeling fearful.
Psalm 91 

[Life is filled with emotions… anger and love; fear and courage; anxiety and peace. The Book of Psalms is also filled with emotions. They help us to validate our feelings and understand ourselves better; to grow in our faith and our relationship with Jesus; to understand the character of our Lord and how He works in our life.]

 

The definition of surreal is, “an event that seems strange; not real; like a dream”. Have you ever had something happen to you that felt surreal?

 


Recently while on vacation, I was walking to a water park with my daughter and three grandchildren. As we crossed the street, there was a shuttle bus blocking our view of oncoming traffic. In his excitement, my nine year old grandson ran ahead of us and was hit by a pickup truck. It was terrifying! It happened so quick that it felt totally surreal.

 

In a split second, my daughter was at her son’s side, followed by a stranger who identified himself as a retired policeman and EMT. He immediately took charge of the situation, holding Beckett’s head and neck in place; asking for a blanket from the crowd that had gathered; and then for an umbrella, as it started to rain.

 

The author of Psalm 91 may very well have gone through many terrifying experiences that were also surreal. He wrote about “terrors of the night, arrows in the day, disease that stalks in darkness and disaster that strikes at midday”.

 

But he also wrote about the presence of the Lord during those difficult and terrifying times.

 


2b He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
    he is my God, and I trust him.
He will cover you with his feathers.
    He will shelter you with his wings.
    His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
         NLT

 

As Beckett lay on the pavement, he never lost consciousness and was talking. He asked if he was going to die; if he would be able to play soccer again. Thankfully, the retired policeman just happened to be there. He came out of nowhere. And afterwards, he disappeared without a word.

 

Maybe that’s what the psalmist had in mind when he wrote these words.

 

11 For he will order his angels
    to protect you wherever you go.
12 They will hold you up with their hands
    so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
NLT

 

After being released from the hospital with a couple of bumps and bruises, Beckett said that he wanted to have a t-shirt made that said, “I was hit by a truck”. But in the ambulance, on the way to the hospital, he and his Mom prayed passionately.

 

The Psalmist wrote about fear. But he also wrote about the faithfulness of the Lord, including this promise which not only applies to Beckett, but to you and me.

 


14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
    I will protect those who trust in my name.
15 When they call on me, I will answer;
    I will be with them in trouble.
    I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life
    and give them my salvation.”
               NLT


Copyright 2023 Joseph B Williams

www.lifelinebasketball.blogspot.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment