Saturday, August 5, 2023

Do Over

A series on the book of Hosea
(Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Hosea 11-14 

[The story about Hosea is a story about the relentless love of God. Hosea was a prophet who spoke out against the idolatry of the Israelites as they pursued the pagan gods of Baal and Asherah. His life became an allegory about the unfaithfulness of Israel and the relentless love of God.]

 

Have you ever wished that you could have a Do Over?

 

About four years ago I was late for work, so it’s possible that I was speeding. But, it was a Friday, and there were very few cars on the highway. Under those conditions, there was no way that I was going to cause an accident.

 

However, that didn’t seem to matter to the highway patrolman that stopped me. Without any hesitation, he wrote me a ticket which resulted in a $150 fine and… increased my car insurance by $300 annually for three years. I really wanted a Do Over.

 

Israel probably wanted a Do Over too. Even though the Lord faithfully reached out to His people in love, they rebelled against Him.

 

“When Israel was a child, I loved him,
    and I called my son out of Egypt.
But the more I called to him,
    the farther he moved from me
offering sacrifices to the images of Baal
    and burning incense to idols.
               Hosea 11       NLT

 

The result of their sin was God’s swift judgement.

 

Therefore they will be like the morning mist,
    like the early dew that disappears,
    like chaff swirling from a threshing floor,
    like smoke escaping through a window.
        Hosea 13       NIV

 

16 The people of Samaria must bear their guilt,
    because they have rebelled against their God.
They will fall by the sword;
    their little ones will be dashed to the ground,
    their pregnant women ripped open.   
            Hosea 13       NIV

 

How would it feel to be alive, but nobody notices that you’re living (verse 3)? How would it feel to have everything that you hold dear, that you love and that brings meaning to your life… to be violently taken from you (verse 16)?

 

Thankfully for Israel, the story didn’t end there. They got a Do Over.

 

Return, O Israel, to the Lord your God,
    for your sins have brought you down.
Bring your confessions, and return to the Lord.
    Say to him, “Forgive all our sins and graciously receive us,
    so that we may offer you our praises.     
Hosea 14       NLT

 

The Lord says, “Then I will heal you of your faithlessness;
    my love will know no bounds, for my anger will be gone forever.           

                                                                                    Hosea 14       NLT

 

Thankfully, the story doesn’t end with our judgement either. The Lord’s faithful love has given you and me a Do Over. Paul explained it like this in Romans 7.

 


24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25a Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!       NIV

 

Copyright 2023 Joseph B Williams

www.lifelinebasketball.blogspot.com

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment