Saturday, September 23, 2023

The Lesson of the Funnel Cake

A series on the Psalms - the voice of emotions
When you’re impatiently waiting.
(Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Psalm 40 

[Life is filled with emotions… anger and love; fear and courage; anxiety and peace. The Book of Psalms is also filled with emotions. They help us to validate our feelings and understand ourselves better; to grow in our faith and our relationship with Jesus; to understand the character of our Lord and how He works in our life.]

  


Recently my wife and I went to the Corn Festival in Millersport, Ohio. We started this tradition in 2001 with our daughter and son-in-law, and have continued it with the addition of our three grandchildren. The highlight is always eating the sweet corn, but this year we had a funnel cake for dessert.

 

The one I bought was fresh out of the hot cooking oil. In fact, it was almost too hot to carry on the paper plate. But with powdered sugar liberally sprinkled over it and the aroma of freshly fried dough, I couldn’t wait for it to cool down. As a result, I burned the roof of my mouth.

 

It’s hard to be patient sometimes. However, David did it. He waited for God and was rewarded.

 

I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
    and he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
    out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
    and steadied me as I walked along.
    NLT

 

Through David’s experience, he learned that the Lord doesn’t desire outward acts of piety, but an inward change of heart.

 

I take joy in doing your will, my God,
    for your instructions are written on my heart.”
       NLT

 

In her blog, Ruth Clemence wrote about how the Lord uses waiting in our life.


 

We spend a lot of our time waiting. Waiting in line. Waiting for news. Waiting for a response. Waiting for a promotion. Waiting for the next season of life. God is at work in our waiting.

 

We might not see any changes in these times of waiting, particularly through times of difficulty and periods of personal growth, but there is a plan and purpose in all of it.

 

God can see things that need to be ironed out in our hearts and our lives that would only remain creased and messy if it wasn’t for the refining times of waiting.

 


Like the funnel cake, sometimes when you don’t wait in life, you get burned. But the Lord is faithful. He won’t burn you. He gives you His unfailing love. He is worth the waiting.

 

16 But may all who search for you
    be filled with joy and gladness in you.
May those who love your salvation
    repeatedly shout, “The Lord is great!”           NLT

 

Copyright 2023 Joseph B Williams

www.lifelinebasketball.blogspot.com

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Joe, I too hit my fist through a wall once when I was angry. I have never struck a person since becoming an adult, and I suppose venting my anger on the wall may have been why. Unfortunately, I broke a bone in my hand doing so! Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete