Saturday, August 31, 2024

Heart, Mind and Character

A series on Pauls’ prayers
(Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Philippians1:3-11 

[Paul was a controversial figure in the first century church. But it could also be argued that he was the most dynamic and influential apostle. In this series we’ll be looking at Paul’s prayers and what he has to say to us today.]

  

I recently spent the day with an old friend who is very dear to me. When we were in college at Michigan Tech, Ken shared the gospel with me one night. My life was changed forever! The rest of that summer Ken was my best friend, mentor and teacher. Wherever Ken went, I followed.

 

And it didn’t end there. The next summer, I followed him to participate in an intensive discipleship program in East Lansing, Michigan. It was another life changing experience.

 

When Paul wrote his letter to the Philippian church, he felt the same kind of love that I have for Ken.

 

7a So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart. God knows how much I love you and long for you with the tender compassion of Christ Jesus.            NLT

 

It was because of the love that Paul had for the Philippian believers, that he prayed the following prayer.

 

I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding10 For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return. 11 May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God.                 NLT

 

Pauls’ prayer for the Philippian believers was for love, knowledge and right living. In other words, for their heart, mind and character. Scripture tells us that Paul stayed in Philippi for only “several days”. However many days it was, he had a lasting impact on the people there.

 

Like my friend Ken, Paul invested himself into their lives. He shared the Gospel, taught them and lived out his beliefs. Then he prayed for them. For their heart, mind and character.

 

That’s a pretty good prayer don’t you think.

 


Feel free to share this blog with others.

Copyright 2024 Joseph B Williams

www.lifelinebasketball.blogspot.com

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment