Saturday, March 21, 2020

All In


Reaching Higher: A Series on My Journey of Discipleship
Deuteronomy 6:1-9
(Use the link below to read the verses.)

[Preface: This series is autobiographical to the extent that it is loosely based on my spiritual journey. In some ways, you could compare it to the stock market with a gradual overall increase, but many ups and downs; even a crash or two. Through it all though, the Lord has loved me and been with me the whole time. I hope you find my journey encouraging, but also, that the Lord might speak to you through it.]

 

 

The job of a parent is to prepare their children to go on a journey... the journey of life.

 

Growing up is a series of learning experiences for children. You start with some basic rules to give them boundaries. “No, Joey. Don’t do that.” As a result, they learn what is expected of them; what is right and what is wrong. Hopefully they learn what the rules are in order to become a self-sufficient, successful adult.

 

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses summoned the entire nation of Israel to present the Ten Commandments to them. Like a parent, he was preparing them for a journey; he was preparing them to possess the Promised Land; he was preparing them to live on their own while facing the trials and temptations of life in a foreign land.

 

“These are the commands, decrees, and regulations that the Lord your God commanded me to teach you. You must obey them in the land you are about to enter and occupy, and you and your children and grandchildren must fear the Lord your God as long as you live. If you obey all his decrees and commands, you will enjoy a long life.         NLT

 

My Mom and Dad loved me and did their best in raising me. They made sure that I said my prayers every night; they made sure that I went to church every week; they made sure that I attended youth group and church summer camp. I learned well how to obey the “rules of church”. That was the start of my spiritual journey.

 

Fortunately, the Lord meets us where we’re at. If the extent of your spiritual journey is obeying rules; then he’ll meet you there. All he asks for, is a mustard seed size of faith to work with.

 

The Pharisees and religious leaders were always trying to trap Jesus into saying something that he shouldn’t. One time they asked him what was the greatest commandment. Jesus, being well versed in the Old Testament, quoted these verses from Deuteronomy.

 

And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today.    NLT

 

When I was a child, it was more about obeying the rules of my parents than “loving the Lord your God”. But as I grew older, my faith became my own.
 
 
 
As a result, it wasn’t about rules; it was about a relationship. A loving relationship that I daily commit to wholeheartedly. One that I’m all in for.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment