Saturday, December 26, 2020

Nurse Ratched

Personal reflections on Advent: Love
 (Use the link below to read the verses.)
John 1:1-5; 1:14


In the 1975 movie, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”, Nurse Ratched was a cold, heartless tyrant. She was the antithesis of what a nurse should be. 


Speaking of nurses…

I mentioned in my post last Saturday that I had major reconstructive foot surgery this fall. My wife has been a gem during my recovery. She got up in the middle of the night to give me my pain meds; she administered my daily blood thinner injection; she propped my foot up in the morning, the afternoon and night.

 

Eventually, I began to lovingly refer to her as… “Nurse Ratched”. She kind of liked the nickname, I think. When we got married 46 years ago, I had no idea who I was marrying. I thought I knew; but I didn’t. Turns out, she is so much more than I could have ever hoped for; which brings me to the Advent theme for this week… love.

 

John was known as “the disciple whom Jesus loved”. He wrote a lot about love; how much God loves us, how to love Him and how to love others.

 

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God… 14 So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.                        NLT

 


When I think about the love of God... my wife, Nurse Ratched, comes to mind. During these past several weeks, for me, she has been the “word became flesh and blood”.

 

God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other.           1 John 4  NLT

 

During this Christmas season, continue to meditate on how God has shown His love to you. Not just as a baby two thousand years ago, but how He has shown His love to you today through those around you. And, how He can show His love to others through you.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment