Saturday, December 19, 2020

Straight Toes and an Arch

 Personal reflections on Advent: Joy
 (Use the link below to read the verses.)
Luke 2:22-35

Have you ever had to wait for something a long, long time?

 

I’ve had flat feet my whole life, and until a few years ago they didn’t cause me any trouble. However, the discomfort began slowly, gradually increasing to the point that I couldn’t even go grocery shopping with Debbie without experiencing severe pain. Even when sitting at my desk for an eight hour day, my feet hurt.

 

As a result, I decided to have reconstructive foot surgery on October 19. The recovery from this has been very slow and frustrating. I used a scooter to get around, which was certainly preferable, but fell several times and every little bump that I rolled over, became a battle. For two months, I’ve rode that scooter with a purple cast on my foot.


 

Finally, I switched from the cast, to a boot. That first night, when I lay in bed looking at my bare feet side by side… I started crying. It was a long anticipated event that surprised me with the rush of unexpected emotion.

 

It reminded me of something that occurred 2000 years ago. Luke describes in chapter 2 an older man by the name of Simeon who had waited all of his life for the Lord’s promised Messiah.

 

We don’t know what Simeon’s expectations were; whether he was looking for a political or military leader, or something else. Regardless, when Mary and Joseph went to the Temple in Jerusalem to dedicate their son Jesus, Simeon held him in his arms and said:

 

“Now, Lord, you have kept your promise,
    and you may let your servant go in peace.
30 With my own eyes I have seen your salvation,
31     which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples:
32 A light to reveal your will to the Gentiles
    and bring glory to your people Israel.”
           GNT

 

Have you waited a lifetime for some great event? A wedding; the birth of a child; a graduation? Typically, these events are accompanied by a lot of emotion. Seeing my left foot with an arch and straight toes, is a far cry from seeing the Son of God; from celebrating the birth of Jesus.

 

What amazing joy Simeon expressed when he finally saw the Messiah; the son of God; God incarnate. It was the joy of waiting a lifetime for something monumental; something historical; something life changing.

 

May you experience this same joy as you celebrate the birth of Jesus.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment