Saturday, January 29, 2022

A Pit of Despair

A Series from the Psalms
God is my… Help
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Psalm 40

[God is many things to many people. In this series, we will be looking at various Psalms that completes the statement “God is my…” Maybe ultimately this answers the question that we all ask at some point in our life, “Who is God to me?”.]

 

David began Psalm 40 by writing about his life in the pit.

 

He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
    out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
    and steadied me as I walked along.
He has given me a new song to sing,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
    They will put their trust in the Lord.
NLT

 

Life can be like a pit of despair, slogging through the mud and the mire. In fact, there have been many times in my life when I felt that way. Thankfully, the Lord has brought people into my life who have helped me through those times.

 

In high school, because I was so shy around girls, my best friend taught me how to slow dance. 

My brother helped me get through a very difficult time during my junior year of college.

 When my wife and I bought our first home, my Dad loaned us the down payment. 

Whenever I lost a baseball in the field behind our house, my Mom would find it.

Friends at our church in Michigan supported us when we had our stillborn. 

Friends at our church in Ohio helped us following my wife’s stroke & my foot surgery, which were a week apart.

 

There are three verses in this psalm that remind me the Lord is my help.

 

I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
    and he turned to me and heard my cry.
         NLT

 

11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord;
    may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
NIV

 

17 But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    you are my God, do not delay. 
            NIV

 


Waiting is very difficult to do, especially when you need help now. During those times, it is critical to remember that the Lord is faithful and always loves you. It’s also helpful to remind yourself of those times when God has helped you in the past. 

 

Life can be a pit, but God is our help and our deliverer.

 

Copyright 2022 Joseph B Williams

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment