Saturday, January 8, 2022

COVID: Public Enemy # 1

A Series from the Psalms
God is my… Light
 (Click on the link below to read the verses.)
Psalm 27

 [God is many things to many people. In this series, we will be looking at various Psalms that completes the statement “God is my…” Maybe ultimately it answers the question that we all ask at some point in our life, “Who is God to me?”.]

  


COVID seems to be public enemy # 1 right now! Since 2019, it has roamed the globe at will, moving freely across oceans from one continent to another; country to country; person to person.

 

It has disrupted lives and taken them; caused economic chaos and inflation. Businesses have closed, individuals have lost jobs and declared bankruptcy. Lives have been broken and destroyed.

 

He has adapted from his original form to the Delta variant and now to the Omicron variant. But he is still pernicious, looking for new victims while bringing sickness, pain and sometimes death. He is not our friend. He does not desire to bring us good will. He is public enemy #1.

 

David often wrote about his enemies. Saul was a constant threat to David before he became king. After that, David always seemed to be at war fighting one enemy after another. And if he wasn’t fighting on the front lines, he was fighting the enemy within; the enemy of temptation and the consequences of his sin.

 

How did David battle his enemies?


 

The one thing I ask of the Lord—
    the thing I seek most—
is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
    delighting in the Lord’s perfections
    and meditating in his Temple.
NLT

 

This was home for David. It was a place where he felt safe and secure from his enemies. Where he knew that his Heavenly Father was always with Him. Where he could seek His face, know His will and wait for Him.

 

You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
    “Your face, Lord, do I seek.”
      ESV

 

11 Teach me how to live, O Lord.
    Lead me along the right path,
    for my enemies are waiting for me.
     NLT

 

14 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the Lord!
            ESV

 

No matter what enemies we might face, we know as David did, that “the Lord is my light” and the light brings life. This is not just something that we can “hope” is true, but we can “know” is true. 



Here is what John wrote about the light.

 

The Word gave life to everything that was created,
    and his life brought light to everyone.
The light shines in the darkness,
    and the darkness can never extinguish it.
   NLT

 Copyright 2022 Joseph B Williams

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment