Series on “I am Joe’s Favorite Verses” – 2 Timothy 4:7-8
(Click on the
link below to read the verses.)
2 Timothy
3:10-4:8
[Many years ago, there used to be articles in the Reader’s Digest titled “I am Joe’s ___” with the blank being filled with a body part or organ. Over the years, I’ve written down verses that are meaningful to me on 3x5 cards. In this series we’ll be looking at some of my favorite verses. In other words, “I am Joe’s Favorite Verses”.]
In 1836, Texas was fiercely fighting for its
independence from Mexico. That same year, almost 200 men, including Davy
Crockett, defended the Alamo. All of them were killed! Following this
decimating defeat, General Sam Houston rallied his Texan troops with the battle
cry of “Remember the Alamo”!
In 64 A.D., a fire devastated Rome. Nero blamed the
Christians. As a result, they were persecuted by all the Romans, but particularly
by Nero. According to the historian Tacitus, Nero used Christians as torches,
burning them alive to light his gardens at night. He also fed them to wild
animals for public entertainment.
In the wake of Nero’s persecution, Paul was arrested
and put in prison like a common criminal. An archaeological description of
similar prisons is: “a cold, damp cistern-like cell with iron rings for
chaining prisoners”. Typically, it was where you went before you were executed.
Even though his life was almost over, and all but
Luke had deserted him, Paul continued to minister to others. It was during this
time that he wrote to Timothy who had been his coworker in the ministry as well
as his spiritual son and currently was ministering in Ephesus.
After reminding Timothy about the authority of
Scripture, that it is “God breathed” and “equips his people to do
every good work”, Paul charged him to continue the ministry no matter
what.
2 Preach the word
of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct,
rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching. 5 But
you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering
for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News and fully carry out the
ministry God has given you. NLT
Following this, Paul becomes introspective, looking
back on thirty years of ministry as an apostle of Christ. Knowing that he will soon
die, he makes this statement in what will be his final letter. His “famous last
words”, if you will.
6 As for me, my
life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is
near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have
finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 8a And
now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness... NLT
Before going into the wilderness to be tempted by
Satan, Jesus was baptized in the Jordan River by John the Baptist. As he
emerged from the river, he heard these words from his Heavenly Father.
17 And a voice from
heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well
pleased.” NIV Matthew 3
No doubt Paul heard these words when he received the
crown of righteousness. They are the same “famous last words” that I hope to
hear.
Copyright
Feel free to share this blog with others.
www.lifelinebasketball.blogspot.com



No comments:
Post a Comment