Series on “I am Joe’s Favorite Verses” – Joshua 1:9
(Click on the
link below to read the verses.)
Joshua 1:1-9
[Many years
ago, there used to be articles in the Reader’s Digest titled “I am Joe’s ___”
with the blank being filled with a body part or organ. Over the years, I’ve
written down verses that are meaningful to me on 3x5 cards. In this series
we’ll be looking at some of my favorite verses. In other words, “I am Joe’s
Favorite Verses”.]
Shortly after
retiring, I discovered that my health insurance offered exercise classes called
Silver Sneakers. They were live and on Zoom. It was perfect – you could see the
instructor, but nobody could see you. After a few months of Zooming, I learned
that a Silver Sneakers class was offered in person at a nearby gym.
The first time
that I attended was very scary. I didn’t know anyone when I walked into the
room, but immediately I was made to feel welcome. Since then, I’ve made many
good friends. We’ve gone out for dinner and lunch. One couple even invited us
to their cottage at Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island in Lake Erie.
Israel was camped
east of the Jordan River and poised to finally enter the Promised Land. All
that remained was for them to cross the river and take control of the land that
their ancestor Abraham had been promised over 400 years earlier. However,
obstacles were always a part of Israel’s journey.
First, they were
enslaved by Egypt for 400 years. Once they were free, they worshipped an idol that
they had made. As a result, the Lord didn’t allow that generation to enter the
Promised Land. And now that everything seemed ready for Israel to claim their
covenant… Moses died.
This meant there
was a leadership change. Joshua was to lead them across the Jordan, take
control of the fortified cities in the Promised Land of Canaan and divide the
land between the twelve tribes of Isreal. What could go wrong?
In order to
encourage Joshua, the Lord made many promises to him.
3 I
will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised
Moses. 5 No one will be able to stand against
you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, I will be with
you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. NIV
Although Joshua
had been Moses’ trusted aide for forty years, you get the feeling that he still
wasn’t totally confident in his new responsibilities. After all, he was going
to be leading a nation estimated at over two million people.
In addition, he
would be forcibly taking land from people who already lived there. It was their
home, so they wouldn’t just hand it over. Therefore, the Lord told Joshua to “be
strong and courageous”. This command also had a promise.
9 This
is my command – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your
God is with you wherever you go.” NLT
There was also a
condition attached to the Lord’s promise.
7 “Be
strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my
servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the
left, that you may be successful wherever you go. NIV
“Be strong and
courageous” – it sounds
so simple. But the Lord repeated it three times to Joshua as he faced the
greatest challenge of his life.
We all face
circumstances that are scary or fearful. Sometimes they’re as minor as going to
Silver Sneakers. But often they’re much more significant, even life changing.
Therefore, “be
strong and courageous” … for “I can do all things through Christ who
strengthens me”.
Copyright
Feel free to share this blog with others.
www.lifelinebasketball.blogspot.com



No comments:
Post a Comment